What Property Owners Need to Know about Mold | SERVPRO® of Madison/Goodlettsville
There are many things a property owner or manager has to take care of, and one of those many things is the constant maintenance of the units. Unfortunately, there could be something inhabiting your rental property other than just the current tenants. In fact, it could be an uninvited guest. Yes, you’ve guessed it… MOLD.
If you have a small mold problem, there are household products to remove it from hard surfaces that you or your head of maintenance try using first. Porous surfaces and large growth, however, mean you need to involve a mold remediation professional, such as SERVPRO® of Madison/Goodlettsville. When household products are not doing the job properly then call a mold remediation professional that has access to EPA-registered antimicrobial coating after cleaning the surface is the next step. Antimicrobial coating does not only kill the mold colony, but also helps to prevent future growth.
The best defenses against mold are to take away its food source, ensure adequate airflow, and reduce moisture in the air.
- Don’t rely on retail products, such as bleaches that promise to kill mold, especially on porous surfaces.
- Vacuum vents every month to remove dust, a primary food source for mold.
- If you see mold in an area, do not “just” use a fan to dry it out. Call a professional, as you will likely spread mold spores and create the potential for even more damage.
- To reduce moisture and control ventilation in the bathroom, run an exhaust fan during a shower or open the door and windows in the bathroom after using it.
The only way to remediate mold safely — and to be sure you’re protecting your property and health from additional risk — is to have trained professionals physically remove it from the affected area.
Ventilation of the home is a crucial way to protect your home from mold. Exchanging room air for outside air can go a long way towards preventing the problem. Basements and bathrooms are the rooms where mold is most likely to be present due to the lack of air flow typically in these rooms. Opening the windows, keeping a dehumidifier in the basement area, and turning on ceiling fans could keep your home aired out enough to help prevent spore growth.
If there has been water damage of any kind. First, make sure the leak is fixed. Then, dry out the area. The sooner the BETTER! It’s a common misconception that mold is slow-growing and will take a very long time to affect surrounding materials. This is untrue. Mold can start growing and spreading very quickly if the conditions are right (dark, moist, enclosed areas).
Keeping your tenants or guests unexposed to mold is necessity to have a successful rental property or hotel. If your home has experienced water damage you could have mold growing as well. We want you to know that SERVPRO® of Madison/Goodlettsville is here to make it “Like it never even happened.”